New approach to debt called for

christian a. gregory pearl862 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 19:02:54 PDT 1999

Chris,

You can doubt the category of total FDI inflows all you want, but the IMF published those numbers, and they, evidently, still believe in the category. I don't understand what the capitalist state has to do with this. The IMF is not a state, and it's only nominally an official agency. Its mandate has only been renewed in the most ad hoc fashion since the 1980's, when James Baker recognized that it might prove useful for the U.S. and G-7 during the 80's debt crisis. If you want to imagine a Tobin Tax having any effect at all, you have to pass through it or the World Bank. It doesn't matter what the dreams of African states are, on this score, since no one is going to hand Tobin Tax revenues over to them. Or rather, the only people that could are working for the IMF, and the IMF made capital account convertibility a condition of membership. So there goes your Tobin Tax.

Christian

----- Original Message ----- From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, September 02, 1999 6:00 PM Subject: Re: New approach to debt called for