Scruton

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 15:42:54 PDT 1999

In message <v04210100b3f422d338e5@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>>oops. I also wanted to say that Scruton's books on sexuality are
>>strongly homophobic. One gets the impression that the purpose is to show
>>that homosexuality is wrong or immmoral or whatever...just not cool with
>>Mr. Scruton.

There's a passage in Scruton's novel of excruciating shame after a seduction/molestation by an older man that is particularly well told. My brother-in-law attended Scruton's lectures at UCL. Upon hearing Manjit make some veiled left-wing comment, Scruton sniffed the air, saying 'I smell a Marxist'. I was at a meeting at the ICA where Scruton was defending fox-hunting (of course, I was there to support him, tally ho!). In the audience the urbane Peter York (looking disturbingly like the lead in the New Avengers) suggested that Scruton was in the grip of false consciousness. Scruton replied that he had 'never heard the phrase "false consciousness" so perfectly enunciated'.

-- Jim heartfield