GDP is unscientific and unfair for poor people.

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Sep 3 13:39:19 PDT 1999

Doug,

I fully agree. Another depressing aspect of this concentration in the media and most political discussion on numbers (like GDP) that ignore the condition of the poor has been the way welfare reform has been discussed. We have all kinds of people cheering the reduction in welfare rolls, declaring the program thus to be a "success." That there has been very little real improvement in the quality of the lives of those who have been removed to go to low-paying dead-end jobs and that the poverty rate has barely budged despite all the super GDP growth the US economy has experienced only very rarely gets mentioned. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, September 03, 1999 2:33 PM Subject: RE: GDP is unscientific and unfair for poor people.