Facing "facts" with fantasy

Martin Schiller mart555 at inow.com
Fri Sep 3 14:22:27 PDT 1999

Carl Remick said on 9/3/99 12:05 PM

>Until societies can make fairer provision for all their citizens, and so
>long as population pressures pose serious threats to the global economy --
>there seems no reason to regret low birth rates wherever they occur.

If a model based on "willingness to mother" was in place, and an initial analysis indicated that one of the primary factors affecting willingness was fear of losing opportunities to participate fully in your society, and an effort was committed toward addressing that factor, I would anticipate spill over to other social sectors. If, for instance, on demand, professionally trained, adequately compensated daycare were available from employers and schools and neighborhood centers, imagine the impact on the "provision for all ... citizens".

Martin