Ju-chang's whacky How to Solve the Economic Crisis in Russia

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 4 22:06:46 PDT 1999

>From Ju-Chang's home page. Just prize stuff allround...
This view in China, even in China, which has become a bastion of neo-liberal economics, is whacky...

Steve

Article

(7) How to Solve the Economic Crisis in Russia?

The tumbling of the Russian stock index and the exchange rate

of Rubles to US Dollars sends the signals on the surface that

the Russian economy is in a great crisis. However, in my

opinion, there is no crisis at all in Russia. What is happening

is that there emerge some temporary difficulties due to the

shift from the centrally planned economy to the free market

economy. I believe that such difficulties will be overcome

eventually and the transfer from the centrally planned economy

to the free market economy will succeed.

In my opinion, there are only two types of economy patterns.

One is the centrally planned economy exercised by the former

USSR, and the other is the free market economy exercised in the

US and West Europe. In the former USSR, centrally planned

economy has dominated the country for nearly 70 years. During

these years, the Russians people found that the free market

economy had much more advantages over the centrally planned

economy. The centrally planned economy pattern is a very

backward model, featured by low productivity and efficiency.

This economy pattern caused great waste of social resources. It

was this backward, inefficient and wasting economy pattern that

caused the collapse of the former USSR. Hence, I believe, the

Russian people long to exercise free market economy in their

country. In order to obtain this goal, the first task is to

transfer the old-fashioned centrally planned economy pattern to

the free market economy pattern. This transfer is not an easy

job. The Russian people have to pay dearly to such a transfer

and it will not be achieved in one day. I sincerely hope that

the Russian people will complete this transfer at the earliest

possible time.

For helping the Russian people to fulfill this transfer as soon

as possible, I'd like to put forward some of my suggestions,

and I sincerely expect that the Russian people may get some

inspirations and assistance from them.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. A general vote or a vote in the parliament to decide which economy

pattern the Russian will choose: centrally planned economy or free

market economy. Such a vote will help consolidate the

determination of the Russian people to exercise the free market

economy and force those who try to obstruct such a transfer to

give up their attempt.

2. To speed up private ownership and give up as much as possible

public ownership.

3. To give up control over the price of consumer goods no matter how

high it is and let the market itself decide the price of all the

consumer goods. Only in such a way, could Russian economy be

defined as free market economy pattern.

4. To give up control over exchange of Rubles to any foreign

currencies and adopt floating exchange rate instead of fixed

exchange rate. My article "How Did the Financial Crisis in

Southeast Asia Happen?" has explained clearly the financial crisis

taking place in the Southeast Asia last year. The Russian people

should take a good lesson from this crisis.

5. After opening prices, the Russian government should guarantee that

the poor people are able to maintain a reasonable living standard

in two ways. On the one hand, it is necessary for the Russian

government to make a law to define a minimum wage level and to

stipulate that every worker's salary should be no less than this

level. On the other hand, it is necessary for the Russian

government to provide the jobless people with relief funds. Relief

funds shouldn't be supplied for the rich, which will cause a great

loss of governmental funds. The purpose of defining a minimum wage

and issuing relief funds is to make some adjustments of the social

wealth and to make some reduction in the wealth of the over-rich

people, so as to ensure the poor people a basic living standard.

To do this, there must be enough wealth at home in Russia. Without

sufficient wealth, the adjustment would not be successful.

Therefore, the Russian government should instruct the Russian

people to do well in their production and to produce more wealth,

especially more necessary consumer goods of the first and second

grades, so as to make the adjustment carried out smoothly. The

adjustment of the social wealth by the Russian government is the

key to the realization of a transfer from the centrally planned

economy to the free market economy. Such measures will avoid the

social disturbance and riot and, meanwhile, reduce the influence

of price rising on the living standard of the low-income people.

6. It is reported that there appears a great shortage of grain at

home in Russia. When winter comes, the Russian people will

probably suffer from hunger. This shortage of grain doesn't result

from insufficient farmland. It is caused by insufficient manpower

engaging in agricultural production and insufficient funds for

developing agriculture in Russia. The Russian premier has appealed

to international communities for grain aid. I don't think it

practicable to count on foreign support merely. The Russian

government should take the following steps at home to solve this

problem: A. The Russian government should give its people a clear

explanation of what is called market adjustment, which has been

expounded in detail in my article "On What's Market Regulation and

On Relationship between Market and Government". B. The Russian

government should open grain prices and let them have a rise,

allowing the market to make its own decision of them and letting

those engaging in agricultural production have a rise in their

income. In this way, more people will be made to engage in

agricultural production. C. The Russian government should

encourage the jobless people to engage in agricultural production

and give them proper help. For example, they can be provided with

suitable houses in the countryside and free training of

agricultural knowledge. D. The Russian government should manage to

increase an investment in agricultural production, so as to make

it carried on smoothly. E. If the unemployed people are still

unwilling to engage in farmland cultivation, the Russian

government should cut down their relief funds to make them rather

willing to take up this job.

7. To cut down all kinds of governmental expenses. To dismiss some

governmental bodies which are not so indispensable nowadays. To

make a reasonable use of the funds. These measures are helpful to

the reduction of inflation and devaluation of Rubles. However,

salaries and routine expenses for the key departments of the

government must be ensured. Among them the police and the

juridical departments should be put in the first place. Only when

these departments are in good function, will crimes be controlled

and the society be kept in peace. If the salaries and routine

expenses for those key governmental departments are not

guaranteed, their normal operations will be influenced, and the

whole society will result in social turmoil.

8. To increase taxes, especially the taxes on consumer goods of the

third and fourth grades. Only when taxes are increased, will the

expenses for the governmental bodies be guaranteed. Only with

taxes increased, will the government have enough money to issue

relief funds to the low-income people. Besides, taxation is an

effective lever of regulating the market. It is because there is a

rise in taxation level on consumer goods of the third and fourth

grades that their exceeding growth will be restrained, thus

allowing more capital to flow to the production of consumer goods

of the first grade so as to produce more such materials to meet

the needs of the society for consumer goods of the first grade.

9. If the Russian Government is able to obtain enough taxes, the

expenses for all the key government bodies will be guaranteed, and

the government will have enough money to give relief to the

low-income people. The Government, therefore, should do its best

to obtain enough tax income. However, if the government fails to

do so, there is no panic at all. On condition that there is enough

wealth existing in the country, the government may take the

financial-deficit policy, starting its printing machines to print

more bank notes for the expenses for governmental bodies and for

the relief funds issued to the low-income people. Starting the

money-printing machine is only an abnormal way to increase the

revenue, though such a way will bring about inflation and

devaluation of Rubles. However, there is nothing horrible, as the

inflation and devaluation are not caused by economic crisis. They

are normal and will not cause social riot. Therefore, the Russian

people should not be frightened by the so-called economic crisis

theory.

10. Presently, the Russian government seems much afraid of the

economic crisis, worrying about the bankruptcy of banks or

enterprises. In my opinion, this is nothing horrible. According to

my economic theory, the development of social economy will

naturally be accompanied by bankruptcy of companies or

enterprises. During the economic growth in the US and European

countries in this century, countless companies and enterprises

were declared bankrupt and closed, yet their economy is still the

strongest in the world. When some companies and enterprises go

bankrupt and closed, new companies will emerge. The Russian

government has no reason to worry about the economic crisis.

11. In China, it is reported in Shenzhen Special Zone Daily that the

Russian government and companies has defaulted salary, retirement

pay and soldier's pay nearly to a total of 120 billion Rubles. If

some factories and enterprises default the workers' salary and

retirement pay, these factories and enterprises, I think, should

be closed down. Their property will be auctioned off, with the

money obtained from the auction used to repay the defaulted salary

and retired pay. The bankruptcy is part of the free market

economy. There would be no free market economy without bankruptcy

and there would be no new enterprises and new companies formed

without bankruptcy, and so the development of social economy would

be impossible. The Russian government, following the example of

the United States and the countries in West Europe, should draw up

a complete set of bankrupt law. The unemployment relief funds

should be offered to the jobless workers.

12. If the governmental bodies default salary, retirement pay and

soldiers' pay, the government should manage to increase the

taxation to repay. If Russians people are not used to paying taxes

or don't like to pay taxes, the Russian government has to start

the printing machines to produce enough bank notes so as to repay

the salary, the retirement pay and the soldiers' pay. This will be

doomed to inflation and devaluation of the Rubles, which, however,

are caused by the Russian people's not paying taxes rather than

the economic crisis. The Russian government should give the

Russian people a clear explanation about the fact so that they may

prefer to pay taxes: starting the printing machines to produce

bank noted is also a way of collecting taxes. Only this way is

rather irregular.

13. To control the import and export of merchandise. When consumer

goods of the first grade suffer a shortage, failing to meet the

demands of the nation, the import duties of the first grade

consumer goods should be reduced to encourage their import, and,

meanwhile, the import duties of the third and fourth grade

consumer goods should be raised to restrain their import. And

measures should be taken to reduce the export so as to increase

the quantity of the goods inside the country to meet the demands.

I found there are many economists in China holding the theory that

the less the imports and the more the exports, the faster the

economic development of one country. Such thought, I believe, is

not reasonable. I hope the Russian people will not hold such

unreasonable ideas.

14. Press freedom and speech freedom should be encouraged in Russia.

They are an effective means in attacking crimes, in promoting

normal economic development and in keeping social justice, as many

criminals will be scared if they are exposed to the open air by

the press.

15. The Russian Government should do its best to seek for

international support and assistance, particularly the support

from the industrialized countries such as the US and West-European

countries. With their assistance and support, Russia is sure to

accomplish its economic transfer more smoothly and rapidly.

Finally, I sincerely hope that President Yeltsin of Russia will be

able to read my article and find the way from it to solve the

current problems in Russia. I also hope President Clinton of the

United States will give assistance to Russia and help them in its

transfer from the centrally planned economy to the free market

economy at the earliest possible time.

Besides, My Homepage has published the latest and most complete

economic theory in the world. I do hope the Russian people may obtain

more inspiration and help from My Homepage, and I do hope it will help

the Russian people to solve their present economic problems.

Back to My Homepage