Gap Between Rich and Poor Found Substantially Wider

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Sep 5 09:31:25 PDT 1999

Oy! How embarassing. I checked before I posted and still Kirsten got there first. And now I'm a clutterer.

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, kirsten neilsen wrote:

> doug - why did they use 1977? to get the results they wanted?]

But it wasn't entirely clutter -- at least my article has a plausible answer to this question:

Based on data from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the

study estimates that average after-tax income for the top 1 percent of

households will climb in 1999 to $516,000 -- a real, after-inflation

gain of 115 percent since 1977, when CBO began compiling such figures.