Immanuel Wallerstein

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 01:46:52 PDT 1999

In message <v0421010ab3f8db008060@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Jacob Segal wrote:
>
>>I just returned from the American Political Science Association conference
>>in Atlanta where Immanuel Wallerstein gave a lecture in which he argued
>>that the world capitalist order was headed towards a crisis.
>
>Hmm, I was just reading a paper that claimed it's been in crisis
>since 1973. Or was it 1997? I forget. It's so hard to keep all these
>crises straight.

There used to be a joke against the Trotskyist party, the WRP, here, who were always proclaiming the crisis, that a stopped watch tells the right time twice a day. So you can't go wrong if you just keep on proclaiming the crisis. More difficult of course is telling the time all the time.

-- Jim heartfield