East Timor and Kosovo

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 6 02:06:37 PDT 1999

Chris, Why not start with a demand that the West, i.e. the US, immediately cease all military aid to Indonesai right away. Were the US even willing to do that much, we might see Indonesian generals finding ways to sway the militias to cool it.

Indonesia is far more economically and militarily dependent on the US than Yugoslavia. So, yeah, there's a massacre going on in East Timor. But for the US to intervene, it needs an enemy. I'd say, stop all aid would be an appropriate start.

I've been dying to read Chinese press reports on this situation btw. But, I everytime I go to People's daily...I get articles on everything but Timor.....I'll keep on looking for some news from the Chinese press...Their reaction to this has been very interesting in light of the 'anti-imperialist' slogans being bandied about only a few months ago. Now, I guess, being anti-imperialist means supporting the INdonesian generals...unless they practice Falungong of course....

Steve