Derrida: everywhere and nowhere baby, that's where you're at

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 6 15:07:36 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

>I suppose contemporary philosophers are
>innoculated against any idea that a writers own view of his work is of
>any import as 'an intentional fallacy' - but then, that is part of the
>problem, isn't it: If what we intend is of no moment then it doesn't
>matter if you join the Nazis or not.

Minor historical point: the intentional fallacy was a feature of the venerable New Critical armamentarium that filled one of my undergraduate ears, the other ear having been filled with the anti-New Critical theory (Bloom, Hartman, Derrida, De Man) that was hot and fresh on the scene at the early 1970s Yale.

Doug