Educating Ju-chang (Gini indeces etc)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Sep 7 00:45:14 PDT 1999

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >Since I raised it,
> >I'll reveal my own unproven hypothesis: people in the
> >U.S. don't give a damn about inequality.
>
> Oh yes. My impression is that inequality had more salience as a
> political issue when liberals could blame it on Reagan and Bush, and
> not the normal operations of American capitalism. Inequality is worse
> now than in the 1980s, but you hear a lot less about it now. You
> could say similar things about civil liberties (wiretaps have boomed
> in the Clinton years, and the Prison Litigation Reform Act is one of
> the worst? the worst? incursions on habeas corpus since the Civil
> War) and the environment (Jeff St Clair could fill us in on the
> details). But on both, the liberals are largely silent.
>
> Doug

To be slightly more precise, liberal elites -- celebrities, politicians, media, richies -- have different, lower standards for Dems than Repugs. My impression is that the advocates still scream about the same issues to a great extent (w/some important exceptions), but their plaintive cries are not lent the same prominence, depending on whose gore is being oxed. [(c) Max B. Sawicky]

But how ordinary people think about inequality, or if they think about it, is what I was getting at, and that's a separate matter.

mbs