Educating Ju-chang (Gini indeces etc)

Mark Rickling rickling at netzero.net
Mon Sep 6 21:57:53 PDT 1999

From: Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org>
> Since I raised it,
> I'll reveal my own unproven hypothesis: people in the
> U.S. don't give a damn about inequality. They have
> some concern about poverty -- particularly avoiding
> it themselves -- and they have certain expectations
> for themselves in terms of standard of living. When
> these expectations are dashed, they are susceptible
> to radical analyses of inequality and other political
> arguments, but as a popular issue it is very limited.
> Most people don't think there's anything wrong with
> being rich.

In the organizing campaign I'm working on now, the RNs find it particularly galling that the head of their community hospital makes $275,000 a year, particularly given the manner in which the hospital is systematically short staffed. Also, the larger issue of CEO compensation certainly resonates from time to time through the media. And how do you explain the popularity of a film like Titanic (a movie I must confess I've never seen myself) which portrays the rich rather poorly (so I've heard)?

mark