Bowfinger, racist?

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Sep 7 07:32:29 PDT 1999

Am not what you'd call a frequent moviegoer, but -- this having been Labor Day and all -- I did happen to take in two recent releases with my wife over the weekend, Albert Brooks' "The Muse" and Steve Martin/Eddie Murphy's "Bowfinger." Awful flicks, both of 'em. I mention the experience only because Bowfinger -- the worse of the two, a witless film -- has an oddly racist undercurrent that no reviewer seems to have picked up on. Both characters played by Eddie Murphy seem to trade off "humorous" black stereotypes of at least 1930s' vintage. Am I imagining this? Has anyone else seen this film?

Carl -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19990907/3ec26568/attachment.htm>