Romantic Speech and Marxist Freedom (was Re: Derrida down under)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Tue Sep 7 15:11:31 PDT 1999

> What (limited, distorted, & elitist) notion of freedom may emerge in
> this oscillating reaction by the romantic avant-garde to capitalism
> (and to the place science and modern industry occupy in it)?
> Yoshie

I, admittedly, have not closely followed the thread to which Yoshie is commenting upon/responding, but everytime I see a reference to the avant-garde, I can't help but recall T. J. Clark's comment in his book on Courbet (_Image of the People_) that it is an unabashed form of social climbing. Michael Hoover