PDS tail up (Neue Mitte in the doghouse)

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Sep 7 15:32:28 PDT 1999

At 16:16 07/09/99 +0200, Johannes wrote:

>At the moment it seems the PDS does not want to enter a coalition with the
>Schröder-SPD. Obviously a tactical move: They think they can gain more from
>opposition.

Interesting.

I see Schroeder has just specifically refuted a claim that he had forbidden the Brandenburg SPD to enter into a coalition with the PDS. He is on record publically that he thinks Stolpe should have a free hand to decide which coalition partner to pursue, the PDS or the CDU.

So both the PDS and the SPD are now keen to deny they are against a coalition they probably do not want. German parliamentary politics are so subtle!

At least the anti-communism is blunted.

My impression is that Gysi holds his own effectively enough in tv round table debates.

Chris Burford

London