buying professors

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Wed Sep 8 00:48:43 PDT 1999

Not sure whether he's exactly a leftist, but Richard Thaler has certainly done sterling work on "behaviarol finance" and battling the efficient markets hypothesis, and I seem to remember that he's also had the odd go at trying to get some slightly more sophisticated economic approaches into Law 'n' Economics. Check it out : http://www.law.uchicago.edu/Publications/Working/WkngPprs%2051-75/55.CRS.Be havioral.pdf

At the Chicago School website, it's also possible to read this gem by John Lott:

"The standard public goods argument for education assumes that a better educated populace is more likely to support democracy. This presupposes that either more educated people are inclined to make decisions for themselves or that education inherently instills the belief that democracy is desirable (Cohn, 1979, p. 206 and Solmon,1982, p. 8). These arguments largely depend on the level of marketable human capital, such as literacy and reasoning ability, and ignores the question of methods: subsidies versus public provision. Yet, politicians in more totalitarian countries should wish to avoid creating a more independent and critically reasoning constituency. Hence, the public good explanation would imply a consistent negative relationship between totalitarianism and expenditures on public schooling. I will provide evidence that this is not the relationship that we observe.. "

For those who want to know, Lott proves this by estimating the following equation:

CURRENT EDUCATIONAL EXPENDITURES PER CAPITA i = c + b 5 TOTALITARIANISM RATING i + b 6 REAL PER CAPITA GDP i + b 7 (GOVERMENT NET OF SCHOOL EXPENDITURES/GDP)I + b 8 (TOTALITARIANISM RATING*REAL PER CAPITA GDP)i + u 2i (2)

My guess is that L&E is popular among a certain kind of economist, because it's the last remaining part of the profession where you can run simple

OLS regressions and still be considered one hell of a statistical researcher.

dd

PS: tangentially to this, MP wrote not so long ago:

Similarly, it doesn't seem wrong to me for a citizen of an OECD country to feel the first world owes the third world a debt of atonement for ravages of colonialism both classical and neo.

Apropos of which, do any of you Law guys know what the current state of

play is on the reparations for slave trade front? Having spent a

good part of the first half of this year covering the World Jewish

Council / Deutsche Bank lawsuit, I'd be interested to know.

Please respond to lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com cc: (bcc: DANIEL DAVIES) bcc: DANIEL DAVIES Subject: Re: buying professors

A few progressives have followed Nathan's route to law school. Vic Garland of Sonoma State is one that comes to mind. But Law and Economics was first constructed at Chicago by Milton Friedman's brother in law to do just what it does.

I know of no leftist or even no liberal in its ranks, but then I am not an expert.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.

_____