Henwood's thesis, was Re: Immanuel Wallerstein and crisis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 8 13:06:39 PDT 1999

I have no particular opinion on the specific issues raised in this thread, but two points are worthwhile perhaps. First, continual marxist thought on crisis theory is probably/certainly worthwhile, but attempting to focus such a discussion on a labelling of a particular person seems aberrant.

Secondly, we need to consider more carefully what issues, *under present conditions*, are worth splitting on (what constitute antagonistic contradictios to use Mao's language). Some such issues are clear, e.g. the centrality of u.s. imperialism in the world today. It's worth splitting with anyone or any group that wants to compromise on that. But disagreements over crisis theory (or current empirical economic conditions) do not seem to me to constitute such an issue.

Moreover, have not a number of list members recently more or less agreed that the left is more apt to become strong during a period of growth than in an economic crisis?

Carrol