definitions

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 10:19:37 PDT 1999

In message <07E012F391C6D2119AFD0050040E8AE022E4D1 at RLM-EXCH>, Carl Remick <cremick at rlmnet.com> writes

> No, neutrality is what science *claims.*  I think of science as
> functioning like a searchlight -- providing piercing, albeit
> narrowly focused, illumination of the subjects it focuses on while
> leaving the rest of existence in darkness.  The question of what
> you focus that searchlight on often requires ideologically based
> judgments.

Then I have to revert to my fall back position and say that your use of the word 'ideological' is unintelligible. If all is ideology, then nothing is. The concept ideology does not stand alone. It only works in relation to its opposite, science. If you collapse the latter into the former then both become meaningless.

-- Jim heartfield