East Timor and Kosovo

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 8 15:41:55 PDT 1999

At 10:02 08/09/99 +0100, you wrote:

>Chris, what was your position on sanctions against South Africa?
>
>Peter

Interesting question. I spent thousands of hours trying to promote them. And of course so did many others.

But then what do we see now? Capitalists in power in south Africa, as much poverty as ever, but some of the capitalists are now black. The folly of attempting to be pip-squeaks!

I did also think at the time there should be a Marshall aid programme for Africa to compensate for the destruction of apartheid. I still do. Which again looks pretty silly.

Clearly a failure either of intelligence or revolutionary purity.

Chris Burford

London