Derrida down under

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Sep 8 16:28:00 PDT 1999

> Angela
> a case in point: i think the US version of deconstruction, which
> subsequently contracted into the outgrowth known as anti-foundationalism
> (or pragmatism) is perhaps one of the most conservative things about,
> and deserves as much scorn as can be heaped upon it. notwithstanding
> this, there is a distinctly marxist turn in french deconstruction (eg.
> jean-luc nancy) which occurred before derrida's
> recentish book on marx, and should not be easily dismissed, even if it
> contains many problems.

Apologies if I've misattributed above to Angela. I don't recall earlier posts that comprised most of her message and I may have incorrectly followed who was saying what.

any listers read Michael Ryan's _Marxism and Deconstruction_ (1982) which discusses a possible 'articulation' between the two (citing Derrida's identification with an 'open marxism')? Ryan argues that how we read or analyze and how we organize political and social institutions are related forms of practice. Michael Hoover