buying professors

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 20:44:30 PDT 1999

Huh? Lawyers have every right to be lawyers, Chas, even to defend their profession if they feel they must (and certainly someone must). But to pin our hopes in progress, nay, give the credit for its manifestations, on this particular institution - well, that's going just a few light years too far, for mine. If our law constitutes our politics, it might do us some good to reflect on how stuffed our politics is right now (mebbe coz it precisely reflects the formalism, individualism and cultural lag imminent in, and perpetuated by, that particular institution).

>Lenin's success where the unemployed professor Marx fell down may have
>been due >to the emphasis of lawyers on the unity of theory and practice.

And don't take this as a backhanded defence of academics - that'd be too difficult a task for the likes of me.

Yours 'some of my best friends are lawyers', Rob.