growth: De Long view

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Thu Sep 9 07:16:54 PDT 1999

Brad, this is all fun to speculate about. For example, most if not all consider the Roman road system to be the best road system in Europe in 1700 AD. A capital investment made by the Romans in let's say 200 AD was still paying dividends 1500 years later even though the government responsible for the building of the road had collapsed 1200 years earlier. We could also consider Roman water works, sewage systems, bridges etc. etc. I kind of like Lester Thurow's whole take on this even though he fluffs it off on William Manchester.

Speaking of George Washington. I own a drafting set very similar to one that was owned by Washington. Antique brass instruments still in useable condition today, although there are a few pieces missing the set is more or less intact and in good condition. Considering that both sets may have come over on the same boat together, and the personal attachment of Washington's set makes it very valuable and the original owner of my set is unknown, where is the 1/x in this...

Quid pro quo,

Tom Lehman