Once More With Feeling

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 9 09:45:41 PDT 1999

>Max, I think you miss an important point - there is a difference between a
>bona fide humanitarian military intervention (I think Somalia and Haiti
>fall into this category despite their shortcoming), and humanitarian
>reasons serving as the Orwellian "defense of the indefensible" - a pretext
>devised to, say, save NATO from obsolescence. I hate to fall into a
>biblical mode, but you can tell the difference between the two in the same
>way you tell the difference between true and false prophets - by the fruits
>they deliver - ground troops versus indiscriminate aerial bombardment of
>mostly civilian targets.
>
>To my knowledge, nobody proposes sending cruise missiles and F-16's to
>Indonesia, they talk about sending ground troops - and that makes all the
>difference in the world. That is why I supported US mission to Haiti and
>would support one to E. Timor, but opposed the bomardment of Yugoslavia.
>
>wojtek

There is no modern warfare with _no_ air cover. Ground troops in combat without gunships, etc. are inconceivable.

Yoshie

***** _New York Times_ October 5, 1993

Clinton Sending Reinforcements After Heavy Losses in Somalia

By R. W. APPLE JR.,

WASHINGTON -- President Clinton ordered several hundred fresh United States troops to Somalia today, plus heavy tanks, armored personnel carriers, helicopters and gunships, in the aftermath of heavy American losses in a United Nations military operation in Mogadishu on Sunday.

The latest Pentagon tally indicated that at least 12 American soldiers had been killed and 78 wounded. Several others were reported missing and may be captives of the forces of Gen. Mohammed Farah Aidid, the fugitive Somali faction leader. That made Sunday by far the costliest day for the United States since American forces arrived in Somalia almost 10 months ago.

Chilling pictures of dead and captured Americans were sent out by the few Western journalists in Mogadishu. Television footage on CNN showed a frightened, wounded Blackhawk helicopter pilot, identified by military officials here as Army Chief Warrant Officer Michael Durant, 32, under interrogation by his Somali captors. The officials said he was a member of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), based in Fort Campbell, Ky.

A still photo showed Somalis watching as the body of an unidentified American was dragged through the streets at the end of a rope. Warning From Aspin

"We will respond forcefully if any harm comes to those who are being detained," Defense Secretary Les Aspin said. He demanded that prisoners be treated in accordance with wartime norms, including adequate medical treatment and visits from representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross.

About 20 supporters of General Aidid, including three high-ranking officials of his faction, were captured, according to the official American account. It was not known how many Somalis were killed or wounded, but a senior American official said the number was "very substantial." The fighting took place in a crowded market area, where the narrow streets are usually thronged on weekends, so many of the casualties were almost certainly civilians.

President Clinton said he was sending reinforcements because he was "not satisfied that we are doing everything we can to protect the young Americans that are putting their lives on the line so that hundreds of thousands of Somalis can stay alive." Note of Determination

In a speech to the convention of the A.F.L.-C.I.O. in San Francisco, he sounded a note of determination, telling the labor audience, "You may be sure that we will do whatever is necessary to protect our own forces in Somalia and to complete our mission."... *****