West Papua/Irian Jaya - another Indonesian province

Fri Sep 10 11:47:27 PDT 1999

The way that Walt Rostow tells the story, on Kennedy's trip to Indonesia Kennedy offered Sukarno Peace Corps workers, subsidized loans, technical assistance, favored trade relations, et cetera et cetera.

Sukarno's response was: "Mr. President, economic development takes too long. Give me Irian Jaya instead..."

Brad DeLong