the New Sincerity

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sat Sep 11 10:41:58 PDT 1999

Many posties in my experience have been very good as activists, and many materialist Marxists around campuses are often the worst of the airchair non-actors. But the best activists in my experience are usually the good-hearted moralists - yes, the non-ironic sincere do-gooders - who from a whole variety of values and life experiences feel you just got to do something. In fact, not getting all the pleasure the theoryheads (in Doug's phrase) have from analyzing precisely how we are going to hell in the handbacket, they feel an overwhelming need to do SOMETHING.

BTW we had our first Workers Rights Project meeting of the semester and had a whole crop of new folks with labor experience as undergrads or in-between years, many having worked with the new undergrad sweatshop movement. A remarkable explosion of labor experience that is quite different even from most of those involved in the Project in past years, who only got really involved in labor as law students.

The favorite slogan I've heard from the undergrad sweatshop movement came after the Wall Street Journal accused them of being pawns of the AFL-CIO. The slogan became "I'd rather be a labor tool than a corporate whore." We're thinking about adopting it for t-shirts for the Workers Rights Project.

--Nathan Newman