UAW planning for a nonunion future???

Mark Rickling rickling at netzero.net
Sat Sep 11 15:50:10 PDT 1999

From: Tom Lehman <TLEHMAN at lor.net>

> Mark, what's probably being looked at is this modular assembly business.
A car
> may be assembled in this country after being shipped in from the cheapest
> sources in the world in as little as 5 pieces. It won't take a lot of
auto
> workers to put that kind of a car together!

I'm guessing you mean to say it won't take many decently paid UAW workers to put such a car together. Kim Moody has a great article on the contract negotiations and modularization in the August Labor Notes -- I wanted to send it along with the Wash Post article but it wasn't at their web site. Moody faults the UAW leadership for not having a strategy to combat this massive planned reorganization of the auto industry, preferring to leave the problem up to its locals to fight one by one.

mark