the New Sincerity

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Sep 12 00:06:43 PDT 1999

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> That's probably because we (lit crits/theoryheads) have one of the dimmest
> prospects in the job market among all grad students (well, we may have a
> better chance than those in classics).

And the classicists are probably better off than the medievalists. I was commiserating with one of the latter, who's in my department; we're both going on the job market at the same time (less Baudelaire's "plonge du Nouveau" and more like "a la fond perdu"). I kept wondering what lit department in their right mind would hire a diehard union radical like myself. Fortunately, most of the lit professors out there have all the political sense of your average quahog, meaning they'll think a grad union is some sort of West Coast glee club.

-- Dennis