Graying Professoriate (from the Chronicle of Higher Ed)

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Sep 12 09:42:33 PDT 1999

Well, my unpopular suggestion (and this applies only to the more elite scholls) is that radicals support heavier teaching loads and smaller classes. Older professors just looking for an easy do-nothing sinecure will get the hell out. The basic problem of tenure among professors, compared to tenure among school teachers, is that a tenured prof can basically show up for as little in some cases as six hours of teaching per week using old lecture notes, dump all grading responsibilites on TAs, and then relax the rest of the time.

Of course, good professors spend much of their free time doing research and advising students, but there is no real control on those abusing the tenure system. And this does make adjuncts, paid almost solely for their time spent teaching (as opposed to profs being paid partly for expected research time) look like a bargain. In one sense, while the proliferation of adjuncts is an attack on academic workers, it is also a political statement that many states and schools prefer to spend a higher proportion of their money paying directly for teaching rather than research.

Higher teaching loads would mean tenured profs would spend more time on teaching, less on research, and this would make tenured profs better match the teaching-work ration that many of those paying the bills would rather see.

Let me reinterate that this proposal applies only to the more elite schools where teaching loads are light. My attitudes on this frankly data from the California budget crisis of the early 90s when I was pretty disgusted that tenured "left" professors at the University of California were quite willing to discuss slashing student services and classes, but wouldn't even consider adjusting their teaching loads to keep education costs affordable.

--Nathan Newman