From mailing lists to the streets? (Re: the New Sincerity)

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 02:30:14 PDT 1999

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Is there *any* way of linking maillist discussions to actual
> political practice?

Well, answer # 1: no, not if you're all the way over there, and I'm over here, thousands of miles away.

Answer # 2: of course - or are you pretending that none of the discussions on various mailing lists you are on has intruded in your political practice? I note, as an example, that in 1994 (I might have the year wrong), Tony Cliff of the UK SWP told members not to use email in an (partly unsuccesful) attempt to stop a split in Canada from influence the UK organisation. Does this not tell us something about mailing lists and political practice at least?

Answer # 3: ask J18. I missed the June 18 demo in London, but I'll try and make the November 30 one. I'll keep an ear to the mailing lists to find out where to meet, but I'll also get myself to a photocopier to produce pamphlets before going down to London, since both online and offline discussion are necessary.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available 'The demand to give up illusions about the existing state of affairs is the demand to give up a state of affairs which needs illusions.' - Karl Marx