dreamin'...

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Tue Sep 14 06:20:03 PDT 1999

Wonder if that expectation is any different than it might have been for the previous few generations; I mean, when you're in your early 20s and you've totally bought the system, is it really possible for you to be a cold-eyed realist and tell someone who asks you, "Well, realistically I expect to get an entry level job that pays shit, do that for a while under a better thing comes along, and just work it that way until maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get a job that'll pay maybe 30 grand; that, plus the income my significant other pulls down, we might be able to live in some comfort; with a little luck, we might actually buy a house, gee, maybe even afford kids. Of course, even this would only be possible so long as we can carry thousands of dollars of debt at rates that should be illegal on our plastic, and save absolutely nothing."