Good news: UT Black, Latino Enrollment UP!

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed Sep 15 07:33:54 PDT 1999

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Nathan Newman forwarded:

> Competition for minority students is keen, and Texas is at a
> disadvantage because it can no longer offer scholarships
> tailored to minorities, Sullivan said. The graduate and law
> schools have stepped up recruitment, and Sullivan plans to
> expand a scholarship program for graduate students.

This is not true (although it may have been so when the article was written). This week the new Republican Attorney General, John Cornyn, overruled the previous Democrat Attorney General, the egregious Dan Morales, whose interpretation of Hopwood claimed that the state could not offer such scholarships. This opinion had the force of law in Texas. Cornyn, the new AG, has said Morales was wrong and that the state may offer such grants.

Morales was such a scumbag, he refused to appeal Hopwood and he forbade UT from using state funds to do so. UT finally got Vinson and Elkins, a huge white shoe firm in Houston, to take the case pro bono. Morales almost forbad that as well, but relented.

> The data disprove predictions that the Hopwood ruling would
> resegregate higher education, said Marc Levin, a law student
> at UT and president of UT Students for a Colorblind Society.
> "This shows that with colorblind policies we can achieve a
> diverse enrollment," he said.

Uh, except as the article notes, not for the Law School.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com