Who nOZe?

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 02:55:37 PDT 1999

At 11:03 15/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dangerous stuff mate - It is a New Zealand Maori custom called a Hongi and
>not to be taken lightly. People here are real sensitive about Maori culture

much more than could be said for australians re australian aboriginal culture

>and not being mistaken for aussies,
>NB
>Oz = Australia
>Aussie = Australian

well it equals a certain idea of australian that not all of us associate with i despise being called or even associated with 'Aussie' i'm not sure i could explain in sufficient detail why but it invokes not one association that i do not find stomach-churning

>Kiwi= New Zealander (yes I know that its silly to have a stupid flightless
>nearly extinct bird for your national emblem, I've always viewed it as a
>metaphor for our economy and at least its better than a sheep).

why is it better than a sheep?

>We take a lot of ribbing from the Australians regarding sheep, our alleged
>intimate relations there with and our earthquakes but at least we arent
>Tasmanians.

there's that. nor are you from perth. there's the sheep, of course, but the earthquakes? who makes fun of nzers because of the earthquakes? who needs to, when there's the sheep?

>Thanks for the briefing. I thought the
>'z' in OZ signified NZ.

really? how hideous. that's like coining a term to mean the US and Canada at once and ascribing 'national' characterstics to it.

>Australia and
>New Zealand, two loving neighbors, rather
>than feuding ones.

hah!

with nothing but international respect, catherine