Who nOZe?

kelley kcwalker at syr.edu
Thu Sep 16 05:40:17 PDT 1999

\
>well it equals a certain idea of australian that not all of us associate with
>i despise being called or even associated with 'Aussie'
>i'm not sure i could explain in sufficient detail why
>but it invokes not one association that i do not find stomach-churning

well, all i can say is that the health and beauty aisles are being colonized by various kinds of "aussie" hair and skin care products. [personally i've always thought that using either aussie or oz was demeaning. i cringe when i type it in response to the same gesture from an email correspondent from au] actually, i shouldn't use 'colonized' because i don't find it such an awful thing, but it is interesting to watch the shelf space grow. though i fear that, as rob once noted, this must mean a rather limited understanding of what australia signifies for the average walmart shopper. as my son's geography teacher is from australia, we've been more keen to various refs to australia these past few weeks. i've noted that, in addition to an overriding concern for their skin and hair, australians are represented as: bright and sunny, though the ref to blonde hair isn't as ubiquitous as it once was. indeed, there are quite a few redheads [nicole kidman's influence, perhaps? any thoughts on her latest flik, btw?] . the requisite nods to diversity with representative ethnic groups

curiously, for the hair/skin care products, australians seem to like to hang out in groups of 5 or more, both in print and t.v.. this is curious b/c US products generally only have one, at most two in them. so, i guess this is the beauty aid equivalent of the michelob commercial--since that's the flavor, that of a beer commercial

there is, of course, the infamous crocadile dundee speaking for the 4 wheet drive, suburu i think. lately, it's not the outback, but the very muddy rugby field.

in any event, i personally have taken to perusing the aisles soaking up the wonderous internationality of it all. why hell it's almost as if i had the good fortune to spend a day or two at the epcot center. i can't afford these products, so i merely peruse. but, i have decided to assign to each of my cherished email acquaintances from australia a certain brand/product.

i shall report back with a list of brands/produtcs i've assinged rob, ange, and cat and, perhaps, hazel though she's only posted a couple of times so i haven't a sense of her personality and whether i'd associate here with sunblock, detangler, mousse, facial scrubs, styling gel, freeze, leave in conditioner, moisturizing lotion, facial masks, and so forth.

kelley, whose son, thanks to cat, loves to make lamingtons and get chocolate all over everything!