global riot!

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Sep 16 07:47:26 PDT 1999

Catherine,

> can anyone recommend interesting texts on anarchy/anarchism that would be
> accessible to a 14yr old?
>
>he can effectively read things that are quite complex and abstract, but
>his social experience still limits what makes sense to him

I think a great starting point would be Emma Goldman's Anarchy and Other Essays. It deals with subjects that it seems a 14-year-old could relate to: family, education, religion, women's suffrage. And the title essay is a good basic description of anarchism. My edition also has a helpful biography and summation of her ideas.

Online, check out this excellent website:

http://calvin.pitzer.edu:8080/~dward/Anarchist_Archives/archivehome.html

It's got histories of anarchists and anarchist movements, and links to a ton of essays by Chomsky, Bookchin, Bakunin, and all the rest. You could probably sift through that site and find lots of worthwhile stuff for the youngster to read.

Eric

Oh, and merely to contradict that Sawicky fella, how about Looking Backward?