the master's tools

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 16 11:35:29 PDT 1999

alex lantsberg wrote:

> The master's tools will never destroy the master's house.
> - Audre Lorde in Sister Outsider
>
> [From the 50 Years is Enough list, reformatted by your humble
> moderator. I don't think I agree with Audre Lord's aphorism at the
> end of Njoki's sig file, but that's another story.]
>
>what do folks on the list think about the statemen? i'm
>particularly interested in doug's story.
>
>frankly, i think that since the master has accumulated all of the
>best tools, then oftentime we have
>no choice but to use them.

I'm not sure what tools she's talking about. Syllogisms? Calculus? Computers? Rhyme and meter? Complex social organization? There seems to me to be a big difference in how "tools" can be used - whether to dominate or liberate.

David Henderson, the ex-OECD economist, thinks that the use of the Master's tool - the Internet - by anti-MAI campaigners is a very bad thing. Seems a very good thing to me.

Doug