Who nOZe?

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 15:41:38 PDT 1999

Jeremy Janes asks

>...Since you brought it up, Catherine, what
>exactly does Perth signify? Of course, the Perth contingent does take keen
>delight in making profoundly rude remarks about Queensland and
>Queenslanders; but I don't know what that means, either.

Well, nothing at all.

I was only trying to indicate that Australians are just as dismissive of other Australians as of NZers. I should have picked QLD actually, because having grown up in Nthn NSW I know all about despising QLDers.

Having also lived in Victoria for a while I'd add though that the VIC-NSW antagonism is not contempt, but a sort of overwraught sibling thing. Why Perth? Maybe because it's the Australian city I've most recently been to and utterly disliked.

Catherine