'Identity Politics'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 17 07:20:09 PDT 1999

Charles Brown wrote:

>I agree with the proposal to retire "ip" and "pc" from leftist
>discourse. However, I think we should bring back referring to a
>political position or action we agree with as "correct". In other
>words, what we need to get rid of is "pc" as a sarcastic pejorative
>term and replace it with "correct" as a genuine endorsement, its
>plain meaning.
>
>So, for example, Yoshie is correct in what she says below.

Charles, that use of "correct" also has an image problem: it sounds too much like some Stalinist thug passing judgment on ideas, the same way Uncle Joe passed judgment on people. You know, the "for some people, four walls are three too many" kind of thinking. A little more skepticism, a little more modesty, a little more of the Driscollian figuring "what questions to ask my answers," please.

Doug