impossibility of soc dem in U.S.

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Sep 16 22:54:43 PDT 1999

One irony here is that the "stock-centered" system in the United States is due to much more extensive regulation of the stock markets here, notably the ban on banks holding stock. Our system is not the result of laissez-faire but a history of populist regulation that had unintended consequences (or rather, unexpected consequences that certain interests nurtured as the advantages for certain parts of the elite became clear.)

While Doug emphasizes the "short-termism" of stock-centered countries, that argument can be overdone given some notable examples over the years in the US of more long-term oriented companies. But the big difference a stock-oriented system makes is in giving individual corporate leaders great independence from one another. WHere bank-centered systems have a strong interlocking system of board control (its less savory aspects degenerating into the epithet "crony capitalism"). The "social democratic" aspect of such interlocking systems is that it cuts down on incentives for business "free-riding" because of mutual interests between such interlocking firms. i.e. support for a basic social safety net to reproduce a trained working class to staff your companies is stronger in such a system.

--Nathan