'Identity Politics'

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 17 11:12:37 PDT 1999

At 02:23 PM 9/16/99 -0400, Charles Brown wrote:
>Wojtek,
>
>I think your factual U.S. history is a off. For example, the Civil Rights
movement, which would be a socalled identity based movement below, always had a significant unity of Black freedom demands with general working class demands.

--- snip ----
>Your claim below that the Black Freedom movement's ideology and themes
contradict or are not conducive or friendly to universal working class gains is false. It is the bourgeois propagandists who misrpresent it as a "selfish identity" effort antagonistic or contradictory to the universal workers' movement, in order to fool white workers from seeing the path to revolution. Civil Rights victories are Working Class movement victories.

Charles, if you read my posting again you will not find the words 'civil rights movement" there. What I had in mind (I agree that the posting in question was not the paragon of clarity) is the legal aspect that came in the aftermath of the civil rights movement (Title VII protections that protect special intererst minorities and not workers as a whole). The laws protecting minorities were implemented by liberal politcos rather than Cicil Rights Movement activists, and obviously reflected the anti-labor bias of US liberals. This was a short lived victory, perhaps even by design.

I did not argue against the Civil Rights Movement, and I am familiar with most of the fact re. fusion between Civil Rights Movement and labor issues you quote. My argument was against the liberal strategy of protecting cultural identity groups, but failing to protect workers as a class.

>By the way, women are the majority , not a minority.

I do not mean in the statistical sense, but in the social status-sense. "Minority" in that context means "low social status" rather than being fewer in numbers.

wojtek