LBJ, sensitive guy

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Sep 17 12:08:23 PDT 1999

Ah yes, the guy Doug always tells me was so much more liberal than Clinton. Much like Doug's other favorite liberal Nixon.

--Nathan

Well, they were. Ain't no two ways about it. In what dimension were they not?

Now one could imagine Nixon having a different policy if he was elected in 2000, given the politics of today. But then we're in the dodgy business of comparing what might have been, like wondering if Muhammad Ali could have beaten Joe Louis.

One could say Nixon raised social spending to unprecedented heights because of mass movements, but, especially in hindsight, would properly conclude the same for Clinton, if he had pursued an equally progressive policy.

BTW, social or non-military spending actually peaked under Gerry Ford.

mbs