LBJ, sensitive guy

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Fri Sep 17 02:53:10 PDT 1999

Excuse me- why can't folks pull off theirs. I am fully aware of the Iraq numbers, and 1 million dead (although we are getting back into Black Book of Communism accounting methods) still puts Clinton's bodycount at a fraction of the Indochina, Indonesia, Caribbean and other deaths attributable to strictly military actions and support by 'ol "liberal" LBJ.

Even if I gave Max all points on the domestic front (and I've argued them before even there), the excusing of LBJ's military mass murder because he bought off some domestic constituencies is the truest form of "social imperialism" possible - to bring up a term that was used in a different (and I think incorrect way) during the Kosovo debate.

Hey, the poor in the US do benefit from lower fuel prices due to our Iraq policies, so does that actually help Clinton's scorecard as a liberal on the LBJ scale?

--Nathan Newman