Black Book of Capitalism? (RE: The 20th Century - The Economist

Alexandre Fenelon sfenelon at africanet.com.br
Fri Sep 17 17:00:54 PDT 1999

At 23:50 17/09/99 +0100, you wrote:
>In message <006501bf00df$d5f25a00$a5f48482 at nsn2>, Nathan Newman
><nathan.newman at yale.edu> writes
>>Are there any useful compilations of mass death under the
>>capitalist/colonialist states that use similar expansive methodologies of
>>murder attributed to those states?
>
>First world war
> Deaths
>British Empire 947 000
>French Empire 1 400 000
>Germany 1 800 000
>Austria-H 1 200 000
>Russia 1 700 000
>USA 116 000
>Italy 650 000
>Serbia 48 000
>
>Second world war:
>
> military casualties civilian casualties
>
>USSR 13 600 000 7 700 000
>Germany 3 480 000 3 890 000
>Japan 1 700 000 360 000
>Britain 452 000 60 000
>Italy 330 000 85 000
>USA 295 000
>France 250 000 360 000
>Poland 120 000 5 300 000
>
>(TG Charman Modern European History)
>
>Plus Jews exterminated 6 000 000
>
>Bengal famine 1943 3 500 000*
>
>[Running total for two world wars: 55,343,000]
>
>Indonesia 1965: 1 000 000
>Vietnam 1950-75 1 000 000
>Iraq 1992 250 000
>
>(John Stockwell, former CIA operation manager in Angola put the total
>deaths attributable to the US in the forty years after the second world
>war at 6 000 000, which he said was a conservative estimate. He put it
>to Kissinger who said the total was nearer 16 000 000. Speech Nicaragua
>Solidarity Conference 6 May 1989)
>
>So by Kissinger's estimate, you could say 55,343,000 + 16 000 000 =
>71,343,000 + 250 000 Iraqis = 71,593,000. (on top of the 10 000 000
>killed in the Belgian Congo)
>

>*starved because Britain withdrew grain from the countryside to deny it
>to invading INA troops.
>--
>Jim heartfield

We can add to it: -A percentage of deaths during USSR civil world war must be given to the Whites and Western powers. -In Iraq there are more 500,000 to 1,000,000 deaths due to boycott and chilhood cancers caused by DU -Something like 3-5 million deaths caused by economic reforms in former USSR -I don't know if you can give all the WWII deaths to capitalist governments but the USSR losses in the most recent estimates were 27,000,000. I don't know if you can put NAZI German and USA in the same group. As you can't put Pol Pot and Stalin in the same group. They had opposite politics towards economy. -Civil war in Guatemala: 200,000 lives -Argentina dictatorship 1976-82: 30,000 -Zaire under Mobutu (how many?)

I think, however, that there are serious problems with the methodoloy used in The Black Book of Communism because it was written with propagandistic objectives, althought Nicholas Werth's Chapter is much more serious than the rest of the Book. Not by coincidence, he disagreed strongly with Stephanie Courtouis conclusions and accused him from making propaganda instead of Research. Not by coincidence, he also reaches a estimate of 15 million lives from 1917-53 (the deaths since then fell dramatically) which in much less than thoses from Cold War Warriors.

Alexandre