Breakfast of Champions

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 08:34:47 PDT 1999

Did anyone see the recentish version of Slaughterhouse Five. Production values of a TV production, but good to see Nick Nolte play the lead. The cover with it's Stars and Stripes Swastika sent a chill (or thrill) through my childhood.

Was that the Vonnegut with the terrible descriptions of clearing out the corpses after the firebombing of Dresden, or was that the time travel one (and is that Breakfast of Champions?)? I have them all mixed up now.

In message <v03130301b4089ab031d9@[140.254.112.110]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>Peter K sent this:
>>New York Times/ Arts section
>>9/17/99
>>'Breakfast of Champions': The Affluent Society? Welcome to the Fun House
>>By STEPHEN HOLDEN
>>
>>What could be a more fitting theme for Alan Rudolph's phantasmagoric screen
>>adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s novel "Breakfast of Champions" than that
>>flowery 1950s ballad, "Stranger in Paradise"? The song, which runs through
>>the movie like an ironic leitmotiv, distills an Eisenhower-era mood of
>>sanctimonious freeze-dried optimism tinged with paranoia that the movie
>>conjures with a demonic fervor.
>
>Judging by his past works such as _Welcome to L.A._ (1977), _Choose Me_
>(1984), _Trouble in Mind_ (1985), and _The Moderns_ (1988), I don't think
>that Alan Rudolph was a good choice for a movie based on a Vonnegut novel.
>Have you seen them? Rudolph is not a satirist. His tone is (or at least
>was in the aforementioned films) ironic, evocative, and wistfully romantic,
>and his style deliberately flat.
>
>_Breakfast of Champions_, if it had to be made into a film, should have
>been directed by, say, Robert Altman 25 years ago.
>
>Yoshie

-- Jim heartfield