American politics [was Reps delaying

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sat Sep 18 11:10:28 PDT 1999

Max:
>I don't think there is any parallel in the U.S. Of the Chicago 7, only Tom
>Hayden went into mainstream politics and never got higher than state
>assemblyman. Bobby Seale, David Dellinger, and Lee Wiener are
>still left, far as I know, and in no danger of Cabinet appointments.
>Abby Hoffman stayed left till his death.

I saw Abbie Hoffman, Timothy Leary, and Stokely Carmichael at a Vanderbilt University event months before Hoffman died (I think it was around '89). He walked on stage grinning and giving the audience the finger. Keep an eye out for a soon to be released major motion picture on Hoffman staring Vincent D'Onofrio as Abbie and Janeane Garofalo as his wife, Anita.

[clip]
>The Clintonoids are all "Big
>Chill" types of ex-radicals, as far as I can see -- people who were
>either on the fringes of real left action, or in elite positions within
>the Democratic party of that period (i.e., Clinton as a McGovern
>state coordinator).

I believe Germany's Gerald Shroeder is a "Big Chill" type, too. Jospin was once a Trot, right?