Scepticism, Dogmatism, & _White Noise_ (was Re: 'Identity Politics')

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 18 13:49:20 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> So all in all, I'm not prepared to give up the properly pejorative
> meaning of the characterisation 'political correctness', which
> definitely describes Spivak, and her audience, very well indeed.

It was within the woman's movement that "political correctness" (as a pejorative) was first applied to some within that movement. But as someone has since remarked, we on the left will always be punished for every good deed. And "pc" in the u.s. (as used almost wholly by conservatives) has come to be a way of dismissing simple human decency. One of its most common uses is in constructions such as, "I know its not p.c., but most women are sluts at heart."

Carrol