impossibility of soc dem in U.S.

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Sat Sep 18 18:17:05 PDT 1999

On Friday, September 17, 1999 at 09:58:52 (-0400) Doug Henwood writes:
>rc-am wrote:
>
>>so, let me get this right: by 'bank-centred systems' you mean what? a
>>central govt bank? the US does not have a central govt bank, ever had?
>>only treasury? is this what you see as the key or rather that in
>>combination with (as the astract alluded to) the degree of connection
>>between ownership and control, the extent of public enterprises (i was
>>unclear about which of these was being referred to or highlighted)?
>
>Bank-centered means ...

As usual, a very fine off-the-cuff instructional paragraph from one of the masters.

I would like to add that William Lazonick has looked at the consequences of the differing approaches to governing the market taken in England, Japan, and the United States. Very illuminating reading, particularly the essay "The Anglo-Saxon Corporate System" in the book *The Corporate Triangle*, in which he has the following to say:

In historical perspective, compared with Britain the American

corporate system has been over the course of the twentieth

century far more organization-oriented, particularly in terms of

its relations with managerial personnel and its control over

financial resources for industrial development. ... This

organization orientation --- manifested in what has been called

"the managerial revolution in American business" [Alfred

Chandler] --- is, moreover, a prime reason why US enterprises and

the US economy have persistently outperformed their British

counterparts during this century. (pp. 3-4)

Much more good stuff in this essay which I highly recommend to Angela (and others), of course along with Doug's book *Wall Street*, which should be required reading for anyone with a conscience.

Bill