East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Sun Sep 19 09:45:37 PDT 1999

> I would be interested to hear more general comments on these distinctions
> and if there are other categories worth comparing the three interventions?

Right off the top of my head.

- East Timor intervention would respect international law. The US intentionally and gleefully wiped its ass with it in Kosovo - in fact, I see this ass-wiping as a major goal of the intervention. US to world: don't ever think that international law will protect your water plants from cruise missiles.

- Intervention in East Timor has a good chance of stopping an existing humanitarian catastrophe. Intervention in Kosovo caused a humanitarian catastrophe much wrose than the ugly counterinsurgency campaign it allegedly tried to stop.

- Intervention in East Timor will involve ground troops, rather than terror bombing of civilians from 15,000 feet.

- There seem to be no ulterior motives for intervention in East Timor. In Kosovo, there was the issue of rescuing NATO from obsolescence.

Enrique