East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Sep 19 10:28:09 PDT 1999

Well, I didn't realize that you opposed all economic sanctions against Indonesia and was denouncing the Australian unions for their collaboration with imperialism. If that is your position, I would say that on East Timor, you are in a rather isolated group.

And noting the odd convergence between the far right nationalists and the anti-intervention left is not polemical but a point of reasonable discussion, unlike your flat accusation that I "support imperialism" (about equivalent to "fascist" in polemical left terms).

More disturbing than your polemical description is your use of the word "enemy" in regards to leftists who opposed Serbian oppression in Kosovo. Sad, sad, sad sectarianism-- the kind that led to the kind of insanity that LaRouche has been known for, if only in a more psychotic form than many other sectarian groups that seek to create and define enemies among those who deviate from the "party line" (however small the party.

> The contradiction between those who support u.s. (or "western")
> interventions on the one hand and those who oppose them is
> an antagonistic contradiction between supporters and opponents
> of imperialism. It cannot lead to fruitful discussion. (One may
> *negotiate* but not enter into discussion with the enemy.)

Ah well, I tried. I officially am giving up on any discussion of Kosovo, since the polemics of being defined as an "enemy" is more than I need to deal with in recreational political discussions.

I'll just go back to my normal "enemy" politics of supporting unions and independent workers organizations to fight capitalists.

This is stupid rhetoric by Carroll and why most people don't want anywhere near the Left. A small proportion are completely abusive and a much larger portion tolerate those abusive people.

--Nathan Newman