East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Mon Sep 20 10:44:16 PDT 1999

God, every time I rejoin the fray on Kosovo, I feel like I'm jumping off a ledge.

But just this once...

Nathan, I noticed that in the "Kosovo" column of your checkoff chart on humanitarian intervention, you coded the "Military Brutality of Local Power" -- meaning Serbia -- as "Medium to High (disputed)." Without disputing this assessment I've got a question:

According to the ethnic Albanian Council for the Defense of Human Rights and Freedoms in Pristina, 1,934 ethnic Albanians were killed in Kosovo before the NATO bombing. That includes both civilians and fighters. You code that as "Medium to High" brutality.

The generally accepted figure for civilian deaths at the hands of NATO is 2,000. Does that mean NATO is responsible for "Medium to High" brutality in Yugoslavia? Should someone thus intervene humanely to kick NATO out of the Balkans?

Seriously.

Seth