Genetic Engineering Again

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 01:39:28 PDT 1999

In message <3.0.2.32.19990919132323.006ed730 at pop.gn.apc.org>, Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> writes

>This morning UK government regulations came in force which require half a
>million food outlets - restaurants, cafes etc, to declare whether their
>ingredients contain GM food such as soya or maize. Yes - 500,000.
>
>GreenPeace is already onto loopholes in this: saying that it does not cover
>things like added tomato sauce which may in itself contain GM material. The
>government has signalled that it will incorporate this too, because it is
>aware how strongly public opinion is running on this issue in the UK, and
>Europe.

I find it hard to believe that Chris really approves of all of these little Hitler's from the local council demanding that Fish and Chip shops post up warnings about the possibility that their Tomato Ketchup has been genetically modified.

This makes as much sense as the law that cars have to have someone walking in front of them with a red flag. I would say that it is a grave embarrassment that the British have become so mardy about their food. They are behaving like babies fussing over their plates.

Let's say it again: Nobody has ever become ill from the genetic modification of food. This campaign is entirely superstitious. -- Jim heartfield