car-free Europe

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 20 17:51:34 PDT 1999

Reminds me of another recent experience, this one in Beijing. I never ran into anyone in Beijing who didn't agree that Beijing's notorious "traffic problem" could be resolved by constructing a few more subway lines and mass transit lines, *and* enforcing the bus only lanes...

I think perhaps James is relying on the common senseical working class response to questions like, "Would you like to own a nice new car?"...But if they are asked if they would like efficient, comfortable, and cheap public transportation, even those who think of themeselves as 'middle class' will be quite interested in the idea.

James is often talking about the need to increase value...Well, nothing works better for real estate prices than to put a nice new subway near an apartment building.

Carrol's point about desires being socially shaped is entirely on the money too. It appears 'natural' to think of or have fantasies about a Mercedes Benz. But if all the energy that is put into getting people excited about a car they will not be able to afford, or be able to save them time getting to work, were put into informing the public about real options in terms of comfortable and affordable public transportation, hey...it'd be interesting to see the results...Of course, capitalist development and capitalist value does not rest on such real choices...though it does create the potential for such choices to be made...

Steve